Youth Leadership Curricular Goals:
Youth leadership is an academic year long program with a variety of activities designed to reinforce leadership capabilities, skills development involving the pairing of trained and supervised peers with other peers and youth facilitation of education, workshops, and service learning.
- Community Services Learning: Engage in a range of community services that provides youth with resources and skills to reach their full potential and give back to their community.
- Substance Abuse learning: Learn about the risk and consequences of substance abuse specific to the South Mountain community and utilize information to change the norms and attitudes of community youth and peers.
- Skills Development: Develop and apply skills that will increase a student’s self-confidence such as, but not limited to: public speaking skills, leadership ship skills, presentation skills, coping skills, project/event designing and implementation, and goal setting skills.
- Social and Emotional Learning: Building on students’ strengths; develop skills through hands-on, experiential learning; giving young people a voice in the learning process; and supporting youth through positive relationships with adults over an extended period of time
Youth Leadership Essentials:
- 1-2 times per week (during school or after school)
- Approximately 10-20 student participants each cohort
- Southwest Elementary
- South Mountain High School